Your HVAC system is heart of your home and a preventative maintenance schedule could save you hundreds of dollars in repairs and parts. Here are a few tips to keep your system running efficently:
- Keep your filter changed regularly and follow the filters manufacturer guidelines for replacement. A clogged air filter chokes the system causing the unit to run longer and more often. While it may be running more, it is cooling less.
- Check your condensate drainage pipes for buildup or backups. If your pipe becomes clogged, condensation from the unit will have no where to drain and leak out of the drip pan spilling into the surrounding area. Condensation builds up faster in the summer than it does in the winter.
- Make sure your outside unit is properly protected and free from debris. Build up on exterior coils can restrict air flow reducing the efficiency and effectiveness of your unit. Ensure the landscaping in the surrounding area is properly manicured and free from obstructions.
- Make sure all vents are free of blockages and furniture. Both intake and air ducts need a sufficient amount of space to properly cool your home or office. All vents should have 2 feet of space from surrounding objects to cool effectively. Each duct should also be properly aimed to maximize the efficiency.
- Set it and forget it! Set your thermostat to a specific temp and let it do all the work. Your system needs 45 minutes to an hour to bring the space to the specified temperature. Outside temperatures could affect this time making it take even longer to adjust. Constant changes at the thermostat means your unit has to keep working.